Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Publication Date: May 2017
Source: library
Reason for reading: Featured in Owlcrate's July subscription box

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here — it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.


This was really fun and enjoyable to read. It was fairly obvious that it was inspired heavily by Harry Potter, but that didn't really take away the fun of it at all, and it wasn't a clone of it or anything. There was never a moment where I was bored, except I will say that during the beginning, before Baz shows up at school gets a little tedious. All it is, is Simon looking for Baz, waiting around for Baz, and obsessing about Baz. It just went on a little too long.

I really liked the characters here. There were times when I didn't love Agatha, but by the end I really liked how her story turned out. There was just a lot to like here, and I will definitely be looking for more by this author.

View all my reviews

1 comment: