Wednesday, September 16, 2020

The Bone Houses by Emily Lloyd

The Bone HousesThe Bone Houses by Emily Lloyd-Jones
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Publication date: September 2019
Source: library

The Plot: Ryn lives in a small village, where she takes care of her brother and sister after their parents died or disappeared. She has taken on her father's occupation of grave digger. There are dead people coming around the village, called bone houses. Ellis is an apprentice mapmaker, who gets lost on the way to her village. After Ryn helps save him from a bone house, they head into the forest together to try to break the curse that is causing people to come back from the dead.

Why I read it: The September Owlcrate box will have an item inspired by it, so I wanted to read it beforehand.

The Characters: I really liked Ryn as a strong female character, and it was nice to see a male character who wasn't necessarily the strong one of the story. They were both likable.

The Setting: This was an interesting world, that was fairly spooky. It wasn't incredibly developed, though, beyond the little village and the forest beyond that pertained to the curse.

A sample of the writing:
"What stories did your parents tell you?"
"Monsters," she said at once. "Dragons. Pwca. Dramatic battles."
"And is that any better?"
"Yes," she answered. "I grew up thinking monsters could be slain."
"Ah," he said. "And I grew up thinking people were the monsters."


Who should read this: Someone looking for a spooky story that's not too scary or gory.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this for the most part, but there were too many times where something happened that was just a little too convenient.

Cover Thoughts: I like the cover. I think it would have been nice to have something with a creepy forest, though, as that would have added to the atmosphere.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment