Friday, September 25, 2015

Book Review: Devlin's Luck

Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)Devlin's Luck by Patricia Bray
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Publication date: April 2002
Source: library

This was pretty average epic fantasy, with nothing that really stood out to recommend it above the other epic fantasies that are out there. I guess if you'd already read through all the really good fantasy, you might eventually make your way here. It's not bad, it's just not particularly groundbreaking or even very memorable.

With that out of the way, I mostly enjoyed reading this. Although I thought the first half was slow, it really picked up in the second half. It got good enough that I will continue with the series.

Devlin is an interesting main character, and showed a lot of growth throughout the book. I liked that we also got the story from the POV of some secondary characters. The setting is fairly generic, but is about what you'd expect of a fantasy of this type.

I would probably only recommend this if you've already read a bunch of fantasies, and are looking for a new author to try.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment