Friday, October 18, 2013

Book Review: Damselfly

The Plot:  Damselfly is set in the future, where a group of scientists have created a six inch tall winged girl named Lina.  She is lonely, and connects with a boy over the internet.  He doesn't know she's only six inches tall.  On her 16th birthday, she finds out she's not the only one of her kind, and that her creators want her to be in a dating reality show to choose a mate.  Of course, she's already in love with the regular sized boy.

Why I read it: Netgalley review copy
Publication date is Nov 11 2013

The Characters:  I don't know that I really cared very much about any of the characters.  Lina was a bit self-centered, even while trying to do unselfish things.  And beyond that I didn't really get much of a feel for any of the other characters. 

The Setting: The book was set in the future, but there really wasn't a whole lot of world building going on.  A few things were mentioned here and there, but it was all very secondary to the plot. 


Who Should Read This:  I'm not sure who I would recommend this to.  It reads almost like a middle grade novel, but the love story seems geared more towards the young adult level. 

Final Thoughts:  This book was okay.  The subject and plot were different from a lot of the other YA novels out there, but in the end, it was all pretty forgettable.  It seems that this is the start of a series, but I'm not sure if I would continue on with it.  I guess it depends where it's all going.

Cover Thoughts:  The cover is pretty cute.  They've done a good job depicting Lina, I think.

Grade: 2 stars (it was okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment