Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Scott Pilgrim

Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little LifeScott Pilgrim, Vol. 2: Scott Pilgrim vs. the WorldScott Pilgrim, Vol. 3: Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite SadnessScott Pilgrim, Vol 4: Scott Pilgrim Gets It TogetherScott Pilgrim, Vol. 5: Scott Pilgrim vs The UniverseScott Pilgrim, Vol. 6: Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour

I had a fun time reading this series, and felt like there were some really funny parts to it.  The grades I gave these books ranged from an A to a C.  So, while I didn't love them all, I was entertained all throughout.  They are very quick reads, and the story is definitely interesting. 

Basically, Scott meets his dream girl, but in order to keep dating her, he has to defeat her evil exes.  The fighting parts read much like a video game, with Scott winning coins or prizes when he defeats an ex.  It's a little weird, and nothing you can take too seriously, but obviously it's not meant to be completely realistic.  A lot of the characters thoughts and things they are dealing with are realistic, though, and that's what keeps it from being completely silly.

My biggest problem was probably with the artwork.  It's in black and white, and there were many times when I couldn't tell who was who.  The characters all started to look the same.  It's a pity, because I think the art had the potential to be good, and I think if done in color may have, at times, been awesome.  But it wasn't.

I would probably recommend this to graphic novel fans, but with reservations.  It's definitely not for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment