Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Review: Hard Spell

Stan Markowski is a Detective Sergeant on the Scranton PD's Supernatural Crimes Investigation Unit. Like the rest of America, Scranton's got an uneasy 'live and let unlive' relationship with the supernatural. But when a vamp puts the bite on an unwilling victim, or some witch casts the wrong kind of spell, that's when they call Markowski. He carries a badge. Also, a crucifix, some wooden stakes, a big vial of holy water, and a 9mm Beretta loaded with silver bullets. 

The story here was interesting, but I just never really got into it.  I didn't care much who the murderer was, or when one of the characters was in danger.  The writing didn't draw me in that way.  I think this is definitely a story that would appeal to men.  If you've ever wondered what's the difference between urban fantasy and paranormal romance, you can look to this book as a fine example of urban fantasy.  There is really no romance whatsoever.  Some books straddle both genres to where you can't tell which is which, but this one is very clear on what it is.

It almost has that style of the old TV detective shows, especially at the beginning of the book, where I wasn't really sure I'd be able to handle that style all the way through. But it's definitely readable, and I think fans of urban fantasy in particular will enjoy this. I give it a C, and may continue if this is a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment