Thursday, October 29, 2015

Book Review: The Traitor Baru Cormorant

The Traitor Baru CormorantThe Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Publication date : September 2015
Source: library


Baru's homeland has been taken over by the Empire of Masks. They will change her culture, traditions, pretty much everything she knows and loves. She vows to rise in power in the Empire and get revenge for her homeland from the inside.

I think one of my main problems with this book is I could just never connect with Baru. I never really saw the charisma that supposedly drew everyone to her and made all these people follow her. I just didn't buy it. And I didn't care much for any of the other characters either. They all seemed very one-dimensional.

The world building was pretty good. Much of the time I was drawn into the story enough to want to keep reading, but there were quite a few slow spots.

This kept being billed as a brutal story, but I didn't find it to be overly so. I kept waiting for it to get there, but it never really did except maybe at the end, which still wasn't bad compared to some I've read.

All that said, I didn't dislike this book. If it's the start of a series, I would definitely continue.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment