Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Book Review: You Had Me at Bonjour

You Had me at BonjourYou Had me at Bonjour by Jennifer Bohnet
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Publication Date: September 2014
Source: Netgalley

If you’d asked Jessica a year ago, she would have told you that her life was pretty near perfect. But one year – and one very messy divorce – later, she’s not so sure. Which is how she found herself boarding a plane to the south of France, determined to put her past behind her… preferably via some deliciously chilled rosé.
Meeting a new man was never part of the plan. Yet when she meets Nino, her new neighbour’s impossibly sexy nephew, steering clear of romance seems easier said than done. Suddenly, Jessica finds herself right back where she started: with her heart on the line. But now she’s made a new start, perhaps it’s time for Jessica to throw caution to the wind, take a few risks… and learn to regrette rien!


The diary format of this book just really didn't work for me. It was very dry and quite boring. I never really felt much about the main character, and definitely not any of the secondary characters. There was absolutely nothing to pull me into the story.

It was like if I picked up some random person's journal and started reading it, but it was all just boring day to day stuff. Not something I would read past the first couple of pages. But since this was a review book, and fairly short, I pressed on.

I thought I would like this since it's set in France, and I have liked diary formats before (like Bridget Jones's Diary). But the main character has to be interesting, and has to write in a voice that makes me want to read more. This book just fell flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment