Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Book Review: How to Run With a Naked Werewolf

The Plot:  Anna is running away from an abusive relationship when she meets Caleb, a werewolf bounty hunter.  They like each other.  That's about all the plot there was.  There was a lot of driving and staying in hotels, and of course the big "action" bit at the end that all these novels seem to have, but mostly I was pretty bored.

Why I read it: netgalley review copy, plus I have enjoyed Molly Harper's novels in the past.

The Characters: I didn't really care for Anna, and Caleb didn't really do anything for me.  I mean, I felt bad for Anna's situation, but never connected with her character.

The Setting:  Blah.  As I said, it was mostly just driving around.  The setting was mainly his truck and dirty hotel rooms.


Who Should Read This:  Fans of Molly Harper.

Final Thoughts:  There were some laugh out loud funny parts, and that is always a plus, but those parts weren't enough to make this book light and fun like I was hoping.  The subject matter was pretty dark, and besides that there just wasn't enough happening to keep me interested.  It's possible that I've just read too many great epic fantasies (my favorite genre) to appreciate this at the moment, but I'm not sure if that's it.  I'll continue to read Molly Harper's books, because she's a fun author, but this definitely wasn't her best.

Cover Thoughts:  Why on earth is this girl running around in the snow with a coat and no pants?  And the blurb, "She's the leader of the pack . . . literally" makes no sense to me in the context of the story.  I think that's a mistake, because that was also on the cover of book number two in the series, where it made a lot more sense.  But anyway, I love the colors on the cover, so there is that.

Grade:  2 1/2 stars (it was okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment