Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book Review: Clockwork Princess

The Plot: A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray. 
Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.
As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.


Why I read it: 3rd in a series
 
The Characters: I don't know if it's just because it's YA, and I'm tired of YA or what, but these characters seemed so, so young. I could tell it was supposed to be all romantic and stuff, but it just seemed overdone. It was like the author wanted to write a romance like the one in Pride and Prejudice or the like, but she does not have the talent for it. It made me not really care for many of the characters, even though this is the last book in a trilogy, and I feel like by now I should care more about the characters.

The Setting: The setting is basically a steampunk England. It was fine, and possibly the best part of the book for me, but still nothing to write home about.

A Sample of the Writing:  
She leaned forward and caught at his hand, pressing it between her own. The touch was like white fire through his veins. He could not feel her skin only the cloth of her gloves, and yet it did not matter. You kindled me, heap of ashes that I am, into fire. He had wondered once why love was always phrased in terms of burning. The conflagration in his own veins, now, gave the answer.
 
Who Should Read This: Fans of Cassandra Clare, definitely. But only after reading the first two.

Final Thoughts: I think I would have liked this book better if not for the last maybe 100 pages, but even then it wasn't very well written. It just went on and on, and at the end I was bored and heavily skimming. And I guess it was supposed to be romantic, but it was all just a little bit much.

Cover Thoughts: The cover is gorgeous. Definitely in this case the cover is better than the book.

Grade: 2 stars (it was okay)


*I know I've been MIA for quite awhile. Blogging was becoming a chore for me, and I wasn't enjoying it. So I'm going to tentatively start posting again, and just see how it feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment