Monday, May 7, 2012

Movie Review: The Avengers


To say I loved The Avengers is a bit of an understatement, but beyond that there are no words for how much I enjoyed this movie.  If you've been following my blog for any length of time, you know what a Marvel fangirl I am.  I'm also a big fan of Joss Whedon.  So put those together, and what you get is made of win. 

I was a little worried at first that it wouldn't live up to the hype, and that I was bound to be disappointed, at least in some aspect.  I'm very happy to report that I was most definitely not.  The only thing I had to be disappointed about is that my son had to go to the bathroom near the beginning of the movie, and I missed a few minutes.  Every second that I watched was fantastic, and I wouldn't change a thing (okay, maybe a small thing, but I'll talk about that in a second).

I'm almost a little embarrassed to admit, but there were parts, particularly when they were all fighting together, that I got a little teary eyed.  See, I've been reading superhero comics for years.  I love the Avengers.  I also love movies.  I also know that sometimes movie makers get everything all wrong and make a big ball of suck.  But this was pure magic.  To see the stories I've been in love with for so long on the big screen just made me so happy.   
*tears*
Now, to take a brief pause from all the gushing, I have to say that I'm getting tired of the boys club that these movies have turned out to be (and it's a trend that extends well beyond just the movies).  Why doesn't Black Widow get her own movie, and yet we're coming up on the third Iron Man movie next year?  Where is The Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Ms. Marvel, etc.?  I understand these characters aren't as easily recognizable, but is it any wonder why?  Look at this comic book cover.  Girls!  There are plenty, and they are part of the Avengers.

Okay, rant done for now, and back to the movie, just about all I have left to say is go see it!  If you're not a superhero fan, that's okay, you'll still enjoy it.  There's lots of funny bits and action and good times.  You'll feel like a kid again. 

4 comments:

  1. I've heard good things from lots of people... I'll have to go, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved the Marvel films but am not a big comic book reader so it's cool to know that this movie is pleasing to the fans as well (well, that was kind of obvious from the box office it did but still it's nice to read an articulation of that).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had absolutely no intention of seeing this movie...but now that I've read your RAVE review, I may have to reconsider that decision.

    I wasn't a super hero comic reader as a child (my brothers were). I stuck to Richie Rich and Archie and Jughead. Yeah, I was a geek even to the comicbook nerds.

    Thanks for the review, Brenda. I'll let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually love super hero movies but this one was AMAZING, I can't wait to take Allston to see it.

    ReplyDelete