Saturday, May 7, 2011

Graphic Novel mini reviews

Before I get to any reviews, I just wanted to mention that it's free comic book day.  If you haven't already, head over to your local comic book shop and pick up some free comics!

Ultimate X-Men Vol. 6: Return of The KingUltimate X-Men Vol. 6: Return of The King

It has been awhile since I've read anything in this series, so I couldn't really remember all that had happened previously.  I really like the artwork in this series, which is probably my favorite part.  I really love Marvel, so it's hard for me to go wrong in the Marvel universe, so I'm a fan of the series (at least so far).



Fables Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover
Fables Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover

I absolutely loved this volume of the Fables series.  For some reason it just really made me laugh, although I can see where it might be annoying or over the top for some people.  I think it's quite possibly my favorite graphic novel ever.




Troublemaker: A Barnaby and Hooker Graphic Novel, Book 1  Troublemaker: A Barnaby and Hooker Graphic Novel, Book 1

I read this and Book 2.  I wasn't overly impressed, but the artwork was cute.  It was a quick, fun read, but probably nothing I'd recommend.





The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes (New Edition)  The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes (New Edition)

I almost gave up on this one at the beginning because I just did not get it. It was so all over the place and I thought maybe I wasn't cool enough for Neil Gaiman in comic book form. But then I checked out all the reviews on goodreads and saw so very many good reviews. I thought I must be missing something, so I kept on.

And it did get better. The writing is very compelling and there's something about it that keeps you reading. The artwork wasn't my favorite, although I know many people really like the style. I will say that this is quite graphic, and so gentler readers should proceed with caution. I'm glad I finally got to this one, and look forward to more in the series, as I've read this is the weakest, so if it gets better from here, onward for me!


Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword 

I think my enjoyment of this series has really varied so far. Sometimes I think it's brilliantly thought provoking, other times I wonder what the heck they're doing. This volume had both moments for me. I'm still very interested in the series, so I'm reading on. 





Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little LifeScott Pilgrim, Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life


Pretty good! I've already seen the movie (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) and I was surprised at how closely the movie followed the book. This is a fun one, although it's definitely weird. The artwork is not great at all, but it worked with the story. I'll be moving on to volume two.

No comments:

Post a Comment