Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Behind the Gates (Guest review by Kaitlyn)



In a terrifying future world, four girls must depend on each other if they want to survive.
Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding school -- but she’s excited, too. And she has her best friend, Maddie, to keep her company. The girls have to pretend to be twin sisters, which Louisa thinks just adds to the adventure!
Country Manor School isn’t all excitement, though. Louisa isn’t sure how she feels about her new roommates: athletic but snobby Rosie and everything’s-a-conspiracy Evelyn. Even Maddie seems different away from home, quiet and worried all the time.
Still, Louisa loves CMS -- the survival skills classes, the fresh air. She doesn’t even miss not having a TV, or the internet, or any contact with home. It’s for their own safety, after all.
Or is it?

My Review
I think that the plot was pretty good, there were some parts where it just seemed kind of slow but then others where it was fast paced but a lot of the time it was just in between slow and fast so I guess you could say it had an average paced plot.
I liked how when the author described the characters then it was more than just what they looked like and how they feel and think and stuff like that. I think some of the characters were a little annoying at times but most of the time I thought they were good.
 I think that the setting was pretty good. Although sometimes the author made the setting a little confusing but other than that the setting went well with the plot.
 I think the people that should read this would be fans of young adult dystopia literature.
Final Thoughts: Over all I think that the book was good but I would have liked to see some of the slower parts taken out and maybe faster ones in their place. Sometimes it felt like it didn't get intense until the very end, but to sum it up, I enjoyed reading this book, it was something I didn't want to put down.

Book Details
Author: Eva Gray
Genre: Dystopia
Page Count: 240
Publishing Info: Scholastic
Why I Read It: ARC
Grade: B+ (liked it a lot)
Cover Thoughts: The cover doesn't exactly match the story but it is a cool cover.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this review as it's a new book for me. I've not seen it until now. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete