Monday, February 22, 2010

Fragile Eternity

Title: Fragile Eternity
Author: Melissa Marr
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Count: 389
Why I read it: 3rd in a series
Grade: C

Synopsis:
Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone—but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he'd ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen.
Aislinn never expected to rule the very creatures who'd always terrified her—but that was before Keenan. He stole her mortality to make her a monarch, and now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever imagined.
In Melissa Marr's third mesmerizing tale of Faerie, Seth and Aislinn struggle to stay true to themselves and each other in a milieu of shadowy rules and shifting allegiances, where old friends become new enemies and one wrong move could plunge the Earth into chaos.

My review:
I'll start off with the characters here.  Am I supposed to dislike every single character in the book?  Is that what the author is going for here?  It seems like every character is either mopey or ornery.  I'm having a hard time seeing happiness or kindness or anything.  Except maybe at the high court, but that felt manipulative, and not like true happiness.  It feels, to me, like none of the characters are actually characters anymore, just plot points.

And the plot moved soooo slow at times.  I had to do a bit of skimming, because I was getting tired of it.  But, there were times when it was interesting.  Times when I saw a glimmer of what I liked about this series in the first place.  And I finished the book because I want to keep reading the series to find out what happens.  I just hope the next book is better, because it's been going downhill for me since the first book.

Series reading order:
Wicked Lovely
Ink Exchange
Fragile Eternity
Radiant Shadows (April 2010)

2 comments:

  1. I was sooo upset after reading this book too. Why did M. Marr feel the necessity to make me loathe every single one of her characters - except for Niall. And Seth. I"m not sure I can even bring myself to read #4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 focuses on some different characters, it sounds like, so either she'll have some new characters to make us hate, or there might be some new characters to like. I'm really hoping for the latter.

    ReplyDelete