Monday, May 26, 2014

Book Review: The Dark World

The Dark World (Dark World, #1)The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Publication Date: May 27, 2014
Source: Review copy from Netgalley

Paige Kelly is used to weird--in fact, she probably corners the market on weird, considering that her best friend, Dottie, has been dead since the 1950s. But when a fire demon attacks Paige in detention, she has to admit that things have gotten out of her league. Luckily, the cute new boy in school, Logan Bradley, is a practiced demon slayer-and he isn't fazed by Paige's propensity to chat with the dead. Suddenly, Paige is smack in the middle of a centuries-old battle between warlocks and demons, learning to fight with a magic sword so that she can defend herself. And if she makes one wrong move, she'll be pulled into the Dark World, an alternate version of our world that's overrun by demons-and she might never make it home.

I liked the idea for this story, and felt like the plot was different from a lot of the other YA books I've read. At the same time there were a lot of aspects that were the same.

There was quite a heavy focus on the teen romance. So much so that the story seemed to get bogged down a bit in the middle. It started off pretty good, and the ending picked up and was exciting, but I got really bored in the middle. Bored enough that I almost wanted to quit reading.

I don't know if I'd continue on with the series. The end was interesting, as I said, but the book as a whole wasn't quite enough to make me excited about reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment