Friday, December 13, 2013

Book Review: The Dragon Keeper

The Dragon Keeper (Rain Wild Chronicles, #1)The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the Robin Hobb I know and love. Recently I tried reading Shaman's Crossing, and couldn't get into it at all. It was odd for me to not love a Robin Hobb book, but I had to set it aside.

The Liveship series has been my favorite of hers, and it may be too early to say, but I think I like this one even better. I have read some reviews that say this book was slow, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. Maybe it's just that I like her writing so much? I don't know, but I thought this moved at a great pace, and I liked that we got the story from more than one POV.

The ending was so abrupt that I would be very upset if I didn't have the second book already on my shelf. I will be picking it up right away.

I loved a lot of the characters in this book, and really, really hated one. He was kind of a villain that came out of left field for me, and I want him to just go away. I like Alise and her story, and really hope she starts standing up for herself more, and also gets a clue, somehow.

Lastly, I really love dragons, and I love dragon stories done well. So this was a huge hit for me in that sense. I think fans of Robin Hobb's earlier series won't be disappointed. If you've never read any of her books, I'd highly recommend working through them in order, starting with The Farseer Trilogy, then Liveship, then Tawny Man, then this one. You certainly don't have to, and I think this story would be easy enough to follow on its own. But those other books are just so good, and the world is so rich and developed. If you're a fantasy fan, you won't regret reading her books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment