Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Review: Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25

Publication Date: August 2011
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Source: ARC

My name is Michael Vey, and the story I’m about to tell you is strange. Very strange. It’s my story.
To everyone at Meridian High School, Michael Vey is an ordinary fourteen-year-old. In fact, the only thing that seems to set him apart is the fact that he has Tourette’s syndrome. But Michael is anything but ordinary. Michael has special powers. Electric powers.

Michael thinks he's unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor also has special powers. With the help of Michael’s friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up this way, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric children – and through them the world. Michael will have to rely on his wits, powers, and friends if he’s to survive.


I would probably give this about a C+. It wasn't bad, but it felt really young, for lack of a better word. Almost like it was written by a child, and the things a child would think was cool. Or what an adult imagined a child would think is cool.

The story was good enough to keep me reading, though, and I will most likely read the next book in the series when it comes out, so there you have it. Not great, but not bad either.  Other reviews have said this book reminded them of Percy Jackson, but I was more reminded of I Am Number Four.  It just didn't feel like anything new.  

No comments:

Post a Comment