Monday, March 7, 2011

Review: A World Without Heroes

Book Details
Author: 
Brandon Mull
Genre: 
Middle Grade Fantasy
Page Count: 
464
Publishing Info:
March 15, 2011 by Aladdin
Why I Read It:
ARC from the publisher
Grade: 
B+ (Very good)
Cover Thoughts:
My ARC had a different cover, but I like this one much better.  I'm guessing this is the one that will be on the published book.  Very cool looking! 

My Review
Jason is a middle school student who is great at baseball and works at a zoo (I don't know how someone in middle school gets a job at a zoo, but we move past that very quickly).  One day while working he is transported through the hippo cage to another world called Lyrian where an evil wizard emperor holds all the power.  There he meets Rachel, who was also transported from Earth to Lyrian.  With the help of scattered rebels, they must find a secret word that can be used to destroy the emperor.

One thing Brandon Mull does well is write characters to engage his readers.  Jason and Rachel are likable characters that will draw in young boy and girl readers.  At times I felt that Jason seemed to be quite older than his thirteen years, but maybe it's because I underestimate what young teens can do.  Rachel is a little more secondary as a character, so we don't find out what she's thinking as much as with Jason.

Lyrian is a very interesting world with a lot of different settings.  The world building was very creative, and very much a part of the story as Jason and Rachel search for the secret word.  They travel to many different places, but I don't want to go into too much detail because I think part of the fun of reading is discovering the world with the characters.

A Sample of the Writing:
" My people are right.  Indulgence is emptiness.  I have probed the limits with food and frivolity.  There is no real fulfillment in meaningless rushes of pleasure.  You try to conceal the emptiness with more extravagance, only to find the thrills becoming less satisfying and more fleeting.  Most pleasures are best as a seasoning, not the main course."
 
If you enjoyed Fablehaven, you'll definitely want to give this one a read as well.  This book is aimed at ages 8-12, and I think those ages will enjoy it, but older readers will like it as well.

A World Without Heroes is a very fun, creative fantasy and I'm very much looking forward to the next book in the series.  There were a few slow spots, but overall it's quite an engaging story that the reader will have a hard time putting down.  This is definitely one to watch for.

View the trailer below: 

No comments:

Post a Comment