Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Review: Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer

Book Details
Author: Maureen McGowan
Genre: Ya Fantasy
Page Count: 320
Publishing Info: April 1, 2011

My Review
Why I read it: netgalley review copy
The Plot: In this thrilling story full of adventure and romance, Sleeping Beauty is more than just a lonely princess waiting for her prince—she's a brave, tenacious girl who never backs down from a challenge. With vampire-slaying talents that she practices in secret, Sleeping Beauty puts her courage to the test in the dark of night, fighting evil as she searches for a way to break the spell that has cut her off from her family. In a special twist, readers have the opportunity to make key decisions for Sleeping Beauty and decide where she goes next—but no matter the choice; the result is a story unlike any fairy tale you've ever read!
The Characters: In a way, Lucette was the kind of kick-butt, strong heroine that I really like in YA books.  But in a different way, I found her pretty stupid and kind of annoying.  She just wasn't very likable, for me.  The only aspect to her parents that we are treated to is that they fight all the time.  That's almost all we really know about them.
The Setting: The set-up is a pretty typical fairy tale except for with a separate kingdom of vampires, which adds an interesting twist.
Who Should Read This? YA Fantasy fans
Final Thoughts: While I thought there were some fun and interesting aspects to this story, it failed to grab me.  Ultimately, it fell flat, and I thought the "choose your path" aspect was more annoying than fun. By the time I got to the last choice I really didn't care what she did, I just wanted to finish the story. It wasn't good enough that I'd go back and re-read to try different choices and paths.  The romance also seemed very abrupt, and I didn't buy it in the least. 
Grade: C
Cover Thoughts: The cover is pretty and eye-catching.  I like it.
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Brenda, Here you go trashing on another vampire book (haha-I loved your review on the Twilight Books).

    I do enjoy your reviews. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete