Friday, March 11, 2011

Review: How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf

Mo is tired of her controlling parents, so after her fiance breaks up with her, she decides to move to a small town in Alaska.  A very small town; there is a Main Street, but not much else.  She gets a job at the local saloon/diner and soon becomes friends with everybody in town, with the exception of Cooper, who doesn't seem to like anybody.  Cooper is also a werewolf (an alpha who left his pack), which Mo figures out on her own (a little too quick, if you ask me), and one day he shows up on her doorstep naked, with a bear trap on his foot.  From there romance blossoms, but all is not well in the quiet little town.  Someone (or some wolf) is killing Mo's new neighbors, and Cooper thinks he might be doing it unknowingly while he's in wolf form.  Mo doesn't believe he's capable of it, but they don't know who else it could be. . .

Mo was intensely likable and Cooper was quite the man, er . . . wolf . . . man.  And the romance was pretty hot and steamy.  (Steer clear of this one if you don't like sex in your books)  I just really liked these characters a lot--all of them, from the main characters to the side characters.  They were the kind that you want good things for them, without being too sickly sweet.
 
This little town in Alaska, Grundy, was so well written and so appealing that despite my intense dislike of cold weather, I wanted to move there by the end of the book.  I liked the small town feel where all the neighbors knew each other.  Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name.

A sample of the Writing:
"I like my processed meats to be somewhere in the unnatural-nitrate-red range.  Ergo I will handle the cooking, thank you."
Cooper was quiet for a long moment.
"You're trying to come up with some sort of 'processed meats' double entendre, aren't you?" I accused him as I held the sticks over the fire.
"Yeah, you didn't leave me a lot to work with," he grumbled.
 
I'm not usually a big laugher while I'm reading books.  Outright attempts at humor will, more often than not, annoy me.  But I found myself chuckling quite often throughout this one.  It's more of a subtle humor that's not beating me upside the head saying "look at me, I'm funny!", and I just found the whole story really fun from start to finish.  I would definitely recommend this to paranormal fans, and as it was such a fun, quick read, I would recommend it to someone who is going through a book slump as well.  I will definitely be reading more by this author, and am anxiously anticipating the next book in this series, The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf, which is due out later this month.

Book Details
Author: Molly Harper
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Page Count: 371
Publishing Info: February 22nd 2011 by Simon & Schuster
Why I Read It: Received review copy
Grade: B+ (very good)
Cover Thoughts: The cover is really cute, even if the people do look freakishly tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment