Monday, November 29, 2010

Oracle's Legacy: Dawn of Illumination

Book Details:
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Page Count: 448
Publication Date: Oct. 3, 2010
Why I read it: received for review
Grade: B

The plot:
The Board Is Set… The dying Oracle can no longer protect her Structure. Moon has exposed it from the shadows in hopes to bring ruin to the world. Thousands of years of lies and secrets have given birth to fear and mistrust. The cycle of Moon’s plots have only begun to spin. The Pieces Are In Place… Pillars want to recreate the world, but in order to do so they must first destroy it. The Structure looks to their new leader, Augustus Granger, to take over and stop the devastation. However, Demon’s Wrath refuses to let anyone stop his plan of total annihilation. The Game Has A New Player... The plots, misdeeds, and fighting gave rise to Chaos. Now no one can stop her. No one is safe. No one can hide.

My review:
This was a pretty good conclusion to the Oracle's Legacy trilogy. I have to say I didn't like it as well as the first two. In all of these books there have been times when I had no idea what was going on, but I felt like by this third book I should have a better grasp on the story and everything happening, but I just didn't. Also, as someone who goes as far as correcting the grammar of characters on TV, I'm still very annoyed with the editing here. There were commas all over the place where they shouldn't have been. It didn't make the reading as smooth as it could have been.

Still, I was satisfied with how the story ended. I still really like Ollie, as messed up as she is. The writing continues to have that "tough" feel to it, sometimes a little too much, to be honest. What I really liked about this trilogy, though, was that it's just so different. I'm not sure how the author came up with her ideas, but her world is very detailed and quite interesting. I haven't seen any other books like this, which is refreshing. I sometimes get tired of the same types of characters that you usually see in fantasy books.

The first book in this trilogy will always hold a spot on my list of favorites, and I would (with reservations) recommend this trilogy to fans of fantasy and science fiction. I look forward to seeing what R.B. Holbrook does next.

No comments:

Post a Comment