Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mind Games

Book Details:
Genre: Paranormal
Page Count: 371
Publication Date: March 23, 2010
Why I read it: wanted to
Grade: B

The plot:
Mind Games follows the adventures of Justine Jones, a hopeless hypochondriac who longs to be normal. Instead, she is recruited to join a psychological hit squad in a city terrorized by criminals with strange powers…only to fall for her most dangerous target!

My review:
I wasn't expecting to like this as well as I did. I'm not sure why. Carolyn Crane's blog is highly entertaining, so why would I expect any less of her book?

I liked the concept of the disillusionists (the psychological hit squad), which is different from anything else I've read. There were a few things that were predictable, but the plot was complex enough that I was interested in what was going on throughout the whole book.

I thought Justine was a great character. I don't remember reading anything else with a hypochondriac as the main character, and it definitely added an interesting dimension. I like that she wasn't a pushover, and she had quite a strong personality. She was maybe a little too quick to jump into bed at times, but I guess it's forgivable, since I liked her in every other aspect. I also really liked Shelby, who was also a disillusionist. There's something about characters with Russian accents that I like.

I would recommend this to fans of the urban fantasy genre. It wasn't too heavy on the romance, and it didn't use the same old plot ideas that you'll find in a lot of urban fantasy. I'm very much looking forward to the next book, which I've already got on hold at the library.

1 comment: