Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hero at Large

Title: Hero at Large
Author: Janet Evanovich
Genre: romance
Page Count: 320
Why I read it: e-book from library
Grade: C

Synopsis:
Dear Reader:
In a previous life, before the time of Plum, I wrote twelve short romance novels. Red-hot screwball comedies, each and every one of them. The romances were originally published between the years 1988 and 1992. All immediately went out of print and could be found only at used bookstores and yard sales.
I'm happy to tell you that those stories have now been re-released by HarperCollins, presented in almost original form. I've done only minor editing to correct some embarrassing bloopers missed the first time around.
Hero at Large was the very first book published. It's about a sexy guy who cooks a potholder in spaghetti sauce and charms a single mom and former world-class ice skater with the promise of a ride on his Zamboni. It's got broken bones, giant turkeys, cantankerous cars, and Aunt Edna.
This was the book that changed my life forever and made me a published author. When Hero finally reached the bookstores, I was almost arrested for loitering in Walden's. I stationed myself in the romance section and wouldn't leave until I saw someone buy my book. It took three days!

My review:
I'm a big fan of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (even though I wonder how long she can stretch it out without any character growth or plot development or anything, but that's a different review), so I've been trying to make my way through her older romance novels. This was her first published novel, and I think it's safe to say that Evanovich is getting better with time.

Although this was a fun, easy read, there just really wasn't much substance to it. It was a very typical romance, where the leads get together insanely quickly, fall in love, problems ensue, reconciliation, happily ever after. Don't be mad at me for giving away the plot. This is the plot of almost every romance novel I've read.

If you're a huge Janet Evanovich fan, and want to read everything she's written, pick this one up. Otherwise, I'd say skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment