Saturday, May 22, 2010

Silksinger

Title: Silksinger
Author: Laini Taylor
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Count: 445
Why I read it: 2nd in series
Grade: A

Synopsis:
Whisper Silksinger is the last of the secret guardians of the Azazel, one of the powerful Djinn who dreamed the world into being. Relentlessly pursued by bloodthirsty devils, she flees to the city of Nazneen to restore the Azazel to his temple. At the same time, Hirik Mothmage is also on a secret quest, to find the Azazel and restore his disgraced clan’s ancient honor.
And behind them all flies Magpie Windwitch, first champion of the new age of faeries, desperate to rescue Whisper and the Azazel alike before they fall in the clutches of a sinister hidden enemy.

My review:
I think I have found a new favorite author. There is just something about this world that captivates me, and I find myself reading slower so that I can make the book last longer. This book (and the previous one) should be read by every fantasy lover. I'll even go so far as to say they should be read by every book lover. I'll never understand how certain YA books (I won't mention any titles here) get so darn popular, and gems like this don't get the attention they deserve.

In Dreamdark, Laini Taylor keeps up the fantastic characterization, the adventure--all the good stuff from the first book. We meet some great new characters, although I didn't like Whisper as well as Magpie (who is one of my favorite literary characters ever), but she was definitely an interesting character. There was also some great backstory, and although the surprise twist in this one didn't surprise me, it was still good.

Once again, I have to mention the artwork. It really brings the story to life. I would love to see a graphic novel made of this series, because the artwork would be incredible. I really can't wait to read more of this series, and I hope the next one isn't too long coming. I'll be reading everything this author writes!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a solid Laini Taylor fan too. Hope you enjoy Lips Touch too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that cover is gorgeous and your review def has me interested.

    ReplyDelete