Monday, May 10, 2010

The Iron Daughter

Title: The Iron Daughter
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Count: 359
Why I read it: 2nd in series
Grade: C+
Publication Date: August 1, 2010

Synopsis:
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

My review:
Oy! I am so insanely tired of these YA fantasies where the girl is completely obsessed with a boy, to the point where she's willing to die for him (or she wants to die because he might not want her). To me, it's not romantic, it's obnoxious. Can't any authors ever just write a story where the focus is something else with a little bit of romance, and not where the romance takes over and everything else in the story becomes unimportant?

I thought Julie Kagawa had a good balance of story and romance in The Iron King, but with this second novel, it became another cliched YA romance. It was predictable, and even though there were times when Meghan wondered if Ash was using fairy glamour to manipulate her feelings, she didn't care. Let me repeat that--she was ready and willing to die for him, even though at times she suspected her feelings for him might have been forced on her. Why do YA authors do this? Can't we ever have strong female leads who don't have to have a boy to live? I don't mind some romance, but I feel like it's getting ridiculous.

I do love the setting, and the rich world that Kagawa has written. Puck is a fantastic character, and my favorite by far. I will continue on with the series, because the writing is good and I want to see where it goes. But I need to read something besides YA for awhile--or find some YA with girls that can stand on their own (like Tamora Pierce's Alanna).

6 comments:

  1. That's too bad this one wasn't as big of a hit for you. I love the cover though so maybe I'll give it a try after I liked The Iron King so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely read it if you loved The Iron King. I think I'm just a little burned out on the romances in YA--they seem to all be the same, so it lessened my enjoyment a bit, but the writing is still good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I'm following your blog only a couple of days now, so I don't know if this will be your cup of tea, but... Have you read the Sabriel series from Garth Nix? It's also categorized as YA. Interesting world concepts, great atmosphere, a dash of humor, and a heroine that really grows throughout the book. I just loved it and it may be the respite from simpering chicks you need. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review, this book looks like one i will be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Sabriel on my (very long) TBR list. I'll have to try to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad to hear. I just finished Iron King - which I thought was wonderful - and now I'm a little depressed to hear the sequel is not too good. Sad. I'm so with you on the strong female heroines in YA books! They all need to develop a little more backbone!! And go Puck!

    ReplyDelete