Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Heist Society

Title: Heist Society
Author: Ally Carter
Genre: YA Adventure
Page Count: 287
Why I read it: looked fun
Grade: B-

Synopsis:
When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own--scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving "the life" for a normal life proves harder than she'd expected.
Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring her back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat's dad needs her help.
For Kat there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in history-or at least her family's (very crooked) history. 


My review:
This was a fun story that kept me reading. The only thing I didn't really care for was that I was annoyed when the author would say "the boy and the girl stood there" instead of just saying their names. I get why she was doing it, it just bugged me. Oh, also too many loose ends at the end of the book.

But still, it was a quick easy read, which was perfect for me right now. I'm having trouble concentrating on anything too involved. The characters were fun, even though I think the characterization was a bit shallow.  There were also times when I didn't understand exactly why a character did what they did--their motivations didn't quite make sense.

I would recommend this to fans of YA, or for someone looking for a fun adventure read.

1 comment: