Friday, April 16, 2010

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

Title: The Adoration of Jenna Fox
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Page Count: 265
Why I read it: sounded good
Grade: B-

Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?
Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions—questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?
 

My review:
This book had a fairly predictable plot.  I don't think I was really surprised once while reading it, and I know I was supposed to be.  Still, the writing was pretty good, and I liked it enough that I wasn't bothered by the predictability.

The characters were okay, but we really only get to know Jenna in this novel, and the other characters are not fleshed out at all.  It's just a journey of self-discovery for Jenna, and that's pretty much it.  She does have interactions with other characters, but even those seemed to be interactions to help us understand who Jenna is, and not who anybody else is.

I'd recommend this for a quick read, especially if you like YA books.  This book was eerily similar to Skinned by Robin Wasserman--so many plot points were the same, except the stories seemed to go in totally different directions.

2 comments:

  1. I love that cover!

    Also, just letting you know I spotlighted your blog with an award--stop on by. (queen bee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this book would be way better but at least you liked it a little bit. Thank you for the honest review. I also really love the cover.

    ReplyDelete