Monday, January 18, 2010

The Demon's Lexicon

Title: The Demon's Lexicon
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Page Count: 322
Why I read it: book blogger recommended
Grade: B

Synopsis:
 Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again.
Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is des-perate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.
Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.


My review:
I can't remember exactly where I saw The Demon's Lexicon so highly recommended.  I read a lot of book blogs, and I need to start making notes of where I read recommendations.  I remember reading about it on Angieville most recently.     

I didn't love it as well as the other reviewers I read, but I liked it.  I thought it started off a little slow, and I couldn't quite figure out what the big deal was.  I also had a hard time connecting with or liking any of the characters.  But the story was interesting and well-written.  The last 1/4th of the book was probably what made the story work for me.  Before that, honestly, it was nothing special.  It was okay, but not great.

The characters were distinct, and all of them had their own quirks and personalities.  I didn't feel like anyone faded into the background, or was so boring that it made me wonder if the author was even trying.  But I could never quite get a feel for the setting.  They kept going from place to place, and I couldn't really picture any of it in my head.  So it made the places seem meaningless to me.

All of this could very well be my mood.  I haven't been feeling well lately, and sometimes that rubs off on my book enjoyment.  I can definitely see what there is to like about this one, and I do want to continue on with the series to see what happens next.  If this had been a standalone book, and not part of a series, I think I would have been very disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment