Sunday, January 10, 2010

Blankets

Title: Blankets
Author: Craig Thompson
Genre: Graphic Novel
Page Count: 582
Why I read it: Graphic Novel Challenge
Grade: D+

Synopsis:
Wrapped in the landscape of a blustery Wisconsin winter, Blankets explores the sibling rivalry of two brothers growing up in the isolated country, and the budding romance of two coming-of-age lovers. A tale of security and discovery, of playfulness and tragedy, of a fall from grace and the origins of faith.



My review:
This is the longest graphic novel I've ever read, but it really didn't take me very long to read at all, which I guess was a good thing, or I'd never have finished it.  I can see how Blankets could be well liked by other readers.  It has an average rating of 4.12 at Goodreads.  I just didn't personally feel any type of connection to the story.

The main problem might be that I just don't like serious graphic novels.  I need superheroes or science fiction/fantasy.  Otherwise I'd rather just read a regular novel.  Graphic novels are my easy escapism reads between my other longer books.  And when the graphic novel takes itself too seriously, it feels, to me, like it's the wrong medium.  I realize not everyone feels that way about graphic novels, and there's obviously a market for this type of book, it's just not me.

I also think the artwork was well done, but not at all my style.  As I've previously mentioned, I like the more realistic type of illustrations, rather than cartoony style.  I did think it was cool that the author both wrote and illustrated the novel.  He is obviously very talented.  Despite my dislike, I would probably recommend this to fans of more serious graphic novels, and hope they enjoy it more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment