Monday, November 23, 2009

The Secret of Indigo Moon

Title: Doppelganger Chronicles: The Secret of Indigo Moon
Author: G.P. Taylor
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Got it from: Tyndale Publisher
Why I read it: Received review copy
Grade: B

Synopsis:
Erik Morissey Ganger, famed explorer and detective (well, in his dreams), and his mischief-making sidekicks, twins Sadie and Saskia Dopple, didn’t go looking for a secret tunnel beneath the school. They never intended to make the acquaintance of a shifty private eye with a nose for trouble. It wasn’t part of the plan to come face to face with an old enemy, one with an agenda of his own that could destroy them all. And unraveling the “secret of indigo moon” was the farthest thing from their minds.


My review:
I read this book to my kids, ages twelve and six, and they both really enjoyed it.  My six year old has a pretty short attention span, but he was interested enough in the story to sit still and listen as we read up to 100 pages in one sitting.  On it's own, at least for me, the story was not that interesting.  Of course, it's a children's book, so that's not necessarily surprising.  My kids did love it, after all.

But I think what they really loved about this book, and what makes it special is it's format.  It's part illustrated novel, part graphic novel, with the format changing all throughout the book.  And it was a beautiful book.  This was the second of the series, and we hadn't read the first, but didn't feel lost or anything.  I would recommend this book, but on the caveat that it's not really one of those children's novels for adults, but it's a wonderful book to read to your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment