Friday, November 27, 2009

Extras

Title: Extras
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genre: YA Science fiction
Got it from: Library
Why I read it: 4th in a series
Grade: C+

Synopsis:
It's a few years after rebel Tally Youngblood took down the uglies/pretties/specials regime. Without those strict roles and rules, the world is in a complete cultural renaissance. "Tech-heads" flaunt their latest gadgets, "kickers" spread gossip and trends, and "surge monkeys" are hooked on extreme plastic surgery. And it's all monitored on a bazillion different cameras. The world is like a gigantic game of American Idol. Whoever is getting the most buzz gets the most votes. Popularity rules.


As if being fifteen doesn't suck enough, Aya Fuse's rank of 451,369 is so low, she's a total nobody. An extra. But that's just until she gets to kick a good story for herself.
Then Aya meets a clique of girls who pull crazy tricks, yet are deeply secretive of it. Aya wants desperately to kick their story, to show everyone how intensely cool the Sly Girls are. But doing so would propel her out of extra-land and into the world of fame, celebrity...and extreme danger. A world she's not prepared for.

My review:
I didn't like this as well as the rest of the series. I thought the other books had a good amount of science, not anything that made my eyes glaze over, anyway.  But this one failed in that department.  I also don't know why I always really dislike the main character in every one of these books.  Or at least, I dislike them for parts of the book.  This one was a quick read, like the rest of them, but there were definitely parts that just dragged, where I felt like skimming, and I haven't had that problem with the other books.  I would recommend this one only if you've read the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment