Friday, October 9, 2009

REVIEW - Homecoming Queen

Title: Homecoming Queen
Author: Melody Carlson
Genre: Christian YA chicklit
Grade: C

From the back cover:
The Carter House experiences a shake-up as one of its own returns home after an unnerving disappearing act.  Then, friction grows as a school homecoming queen race heats up, turning friends and housemates against one another.  DJ, Eliza, Taylor, Kriti, and Casey show they have plenty of lessons to learn as the votes roll in.  Some grow smarter and closer to God, while others seem to make the same mistakes over again. 

Despite all their differences and disagreements, the Carter House girls continue to grow together, forging a bond that strengthens through hardship.  Hearts can change, and friendship paves the way for at least one girl to move closer to God.


My review:
I feel like the back cover description is kind of deceiving.  Sure, there was the homecoming queen thing, but I think the real focus of the story isn't even mentioned on the back cover.  I also don't see the girls growing much closer, and I definitely don't remember anything paving the way for one girl to move closer to God.

I'm so annoyed with this series.  I don't really like it very much, I'm annoyed with the characters, annoyed with the writing, but I'm interested enough to want to see where it all goes.  Which makes me want to read more.  But I don't want to want to read more!  Why must authors torment me so?  I'm tired of all the manufactured drama, but somehow I find myself still caring about what happens.   

I do understand now how Melody Carlson can put out so many books so fast.  The books aren't long, and there's not a lot to them.  I'm not sure if I would recommend this series.  On the one hand, I think teens and pre-teens might like the writing a lot, and be able to relate more to the characters, but on the other hand, I just don't think it's great writing.  I'm torn!

No comments:

Post a Comment