Wednesday, October 28, 2009

REVIEW - Catching Fire

Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: YA science fiction
Got it from: library (after a long wait)
Why I read it: sequel
Grade: A+

Synopsis:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

 My review:
You know how sometimes a book is so talked about and hyped up that when you read it, you are inevitably disappointed?  This wasn't one of those books.  Not only did it live up to the hype, but it was a lot better than I thought it would be.  I absolutely loved it!

I remember at the end of The Hunger Games, I thought it was a pretty crappy ending to an awesome book.  I was thinking we just needed maybe 20 more pages, and the story would have wrapped up nicely.  I didn't know there was a sequel.  But then when I found out there was a sequel, I wondered what the heck it could be about.  The Hunger Games were over, what was there left to write about?  Boy, was I wrong!

I think I liked Catching Fire better than The Hunger Games, and right now I'm really excited for the last book in the trilogy.  I think it's going to be awesome.  This is one of those books with excellent character development.  I really cared about the characters, and I think sometimes science fiction (although this one isn't all that sciency) lacks in that department.  So, if you haven't read these books yet, what are you waiting for?  They're really, really good.  So much better than some of the other popular YA books that are around right now.  I feel like I've had a really lucky reading month.  I've read some really awesome books.

No comments:

Post a Comment