Saturday, September 19, 2009

REVIEW - Me, Just Different

Me, Just Different by Stephanie Morrill is a young adult novel, and the first in a series about Skylar Hoyt.  This one is very young adult, complete with teen angst, school days, and boyfriends.  Skylar is a high school senior, who, after a bad experience the summer before, decides to make some big life changes.  She decides to start going to church and to stop partying.

She has a hard time, though, because she's shallow, materialistic and self-centered.  Oops, did I say that out loud?  Oddly enough, I still found her character likable.  I think it's because she's a seventeen (eighteen for the last part of the book) year old girl, and that's how most girls are at that age.  In other words, she was a realistic character.  The whole book felt very true to the life period the characters were in.  Not that I remember all that well.  It's been a few years, but from what I do remember it seems right.

This was an extremely easy read, with no slow parts, that could be read in an afternoon.  The religiosity was definitely there, but it wasn't too in your face.  There were definitely some parts, though, that may feel preachy to a person who is not religious, so I will throw that out there.  It was a good Christian novel, though, with good lessons for a teen (or anyone who hasn't learned it yet) to learn.

I would rate this book 4/5, and would recommend it to fans of YA books, light chick-lit fans, Christian fiction fans, and anyone looking for a quick, easy read to pass an afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like just the kind of book I would like, I'll have to give it a try.

    I have an award for you! I haven't figured out how to do links in the comment section so below is the link...

    http://bookwormnation.blogspot.com/2009/09/lets-be-friends-award.html

    ReplyDelete