Monday, August 31, 2009

The Yada Yada Prayer Group

I just read The Yada Yada Prayer Group. I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. It seemed like one of those older lady Christian chick lit books--I'm not quite sure why I thought that, because there were women of all ages in the book. It was one of those books that I liked so much that I didn't want to pick up anything else afterward. I've got the second one on hold at the library, but I wish I had had it today, because I would have started it already.

The Yada Yada Prayer Group starts off with Jodi (the main character) being anxious about going to a women's conference. She goes, and is put with a group of very diverse women for a prayer group. They seem to connect, and decide to keep the prayer group going after the conference ends. The rest of the book follows the prayer group first e-mailing each other, and then getting together to pray together. That's a very simple summary of the book, and the story is a lot more complex than that, but that's the jist of it.

I've read differing reviews on this book. Some people thought it was really corny and preachy, some thought it boring, and some, like me, loved it. I found myself really annoyed with the main character and her attitude, but if I'm really honest with myself, I am like her in a lot of ways. And I really loved the realizations that she came to at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment