Monday, April 27, 2009

Stray by Rachel Vincent

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds. Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked. I'd been warned about Strays: werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared. This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever and whoever I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them.

The cover description of this book didn't really excite me, so I wasn't necessarily looking forward to reading this one. But as soon as I started, I was sucked in and had a hard time putting it down. And this was through a whole 600+ pages. I felt like there were never any slow parts, and the writing flowed really well.

I know there were others who read this who were annoyed by the main character, but I wasn't really bothered. I understood her frustration and the reasons behind it, and while I thought she did a couple of stupid things, it wasn't as bad as some heroines of books I've read, and I think it was the only way the author could move forward her plot.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. This is one I would recommend to anyone who likes paranormals, but even with how much I enjoyed it, I probably wouldn't recommend it to those who don't like paranormals.

No comments:

Post a Comment